Friday, June 24, 2011

Body Adaptable Thermostat

Every time I wake up, I am either sweating or very cold.

This is because we fool ourselves by believing that we know what our room temperature should be that will keep us comfortable through the night. I feel that sleeping body temperature requirements are way different than when you are up.

So, rather than having a thermostat to control/maintain the room temp, here is what I would like. A (tiny) device that I attach to my body that constantly monitors my surface body temp and changes the thermostat settings (wirelessly) accordingly. If my body temperature is falling, it will increase the room temperature a bit, and if my body temp is rising, it will lower the room temperature.

If there are two people in the room, it should average it out and so on... I think it will be very simple to implement.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting.
    People might not like to attach something to their body. So, can this also be a wireless device? Something which detects your body temperature from a distance? How about this device built-in in smartphones like iPhone?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole idea is around reading the body temperature accurately. I do not think there is a way to read the temperature of a body from a distance. The temperature of the air (room temperature) will start interfering at that point.

    And this device maybe like a patch or a thin bracelet made out of cotton lining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wah wah! Invite shilpa to this blog too. She'll love all your dimaag ki upaj!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea! We have “sleep numbers” (adjustable mattress) why not “Sleep temp”? Maybe they can place the censor in the mattress so it’s close to the body but not an extra device attach to the person.

    ReplyDelete