Thursday, July 21, 2011

Contact Search on mobile phones.

Maybe its just the makes and model of mobile phones I have used, but 'contact search' has really be awful on the iPhone, Blackberry, Palm phones that I have used in the last 8 odd years of smartphones.

A contact these days is more than just a name and a phone number or an email. It has an address, notes, organization name, notes and much more...

Why cant I search a contact by just how I remember a contact. e.g. I sometimes remember people by their organization or by where they live, and I know I have stored that info in my contacts. If mobile phones (e.g. iPhone) can index all your emails and let you search that, why not index everything in a contact and search by anything or everything.

e.g. I wanted to find out a contact, and I knew the phone number started with area code (916). Why cant I just start typing 916... in my contact search, and it starts shortlisting people.

Again, simple, but still missing.

3 comments:

  1. I badly need this. So many times, people call me from a number in India and it doesn't show the name. I then have to look up each of my contacts to find who called without leaving a voice message. Simple feature but good to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too .. even a primitive phone user like me misses this - specially the type 916 thing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally iOS6 comes out with this. only 15 months later than my post...

    ReplyDelete